Further 24 hour strike on Arriva Rail North in guards' safety dispute
Date published: 16 May 2017
Rail Union RMT
Rail union RMT has confirmed that a further 24 hour strike on Arriva Rail North will go ahead on Tuesday 30 May.
The union said it was angry and frustrated that the company had rejected point blank every attempt to try and broker a safe and sustainable settlement to the dispute.
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said: “The sheer intransigence of Arriva Rail North means that we have no option but to confirm a further 24 hours of strike action . The responsibility for the inevitable disruption lies wholly with the company. We are angry and frustrated that Arriva continue to face up to the facts and also continue to ignore a perfectly reasonable union proposal to invite the DfT to join us in three way talks aimed at finding a solution.
“The public, who support RMT’s campaign for a guarantee of a guard on their trains, will be appalled that Arriva Rail North have failed yet again to offer any kind of progress whatsoever in the talks and have instead opted to try and bulldoze through their plans regardless. It is that flagrant disregard for the safety issues at the heart of the dispute which leaves us with no option but to press on with the campaign of strike action.
“RMT commends our Arriva Rail North Members on their rock solid display of strength, resolve and unity during the action so far in opposition to the introduction of driver controlled operation and defence of the guards to guarantee a safer, securer and more accessible railway for all. We have no doubt that they our members will remain united and determined as we prepare for the next phase of action in a fortnight.
“The union continues to remain available for meaningful discussions with the company in order to seek a satisfactory resolution to the on-going dispute.”