Councillor Allen Brett says he is "proud and humbled" to have been elected Leader of the Council
Date published: 11 December 2017
Councillor Allen Brett immediately after being voted the new leader of the Council
Scroll down for Video
Councillor Allen Brett says he is "proud and humbled" to have been elected by his colleagues as Leader of the Labour group and Leader of the Council.
He added: "I would like to place on record my thanks for the excellent work and achievements for the borough of my predecessor Richard Farnell and my commiserations to my opponent Jacqui Beswick.
"There is a big job to do and I am starting right away.
"Labour has made significant improvements to all of our borough - Heywood, Middleton, the Pennines and Rochdale.
- 85% of our schools are good or outstanding.
- Our colleges are among the best in the country and our GCSE and A Level results have never been higher.
- We are recycling more than ever and our parks are greener and streets are much cleaner.
- Our services caring for the elderly and disabled are rated among the best five in the country."
Councillor Brett acknowledged that more must be done.
He said: "There are going to be no changes; there will be evolution. I have plans for Rochdale, but I need to discuss them with my Labour colleagues first. We will continue to improve services, the environment and I will expand on what my predecessor [Councillor Richard Farnell] achieved.
Councillor Brett listed more of his intentions:
- Drive up school standards even higher.
- Do more to tackle poverty pay, end the scandal of homelessness and look after the most vulnerable in the borough.
- Invest to attract more businesses and create the good jobs local people need.
- Build more affordable homes to rent and buy to help young families get a foot on the housing ladder.
He added: "I am immensely proud of Rochdale and I make one promise above all else. I will work hard - day in and day out - for the benefit of all the residents of the borough. The people are my priority and I will always put them first.
"I will be announcing my cabinet and major posts in the next few days."
Councillor Brett was previously leader of the Council in 2005.
Councillor Allen Brett speaking as the new leader of Rochdale Council